Thoughtful is a boutique product studio founded in New York City. We've built and launched products for companies like Teachable, Whisper, and dozens of others. We have a fully remote, async, no-BS work culture with minimal meetings so that the team can focus on what they enjoy - building great products.
Thoughtful is seeking an experienced back-end engineer to help us build REST and GraphQL APIs using Python, Node.js, and Serverless to power clients' web and mobile apps.
- You have at least 3 years of experience building backend REST APIs or full-stack web applications that used REST APIs.
- You are deeply familiar with Node.js or Python and keep up with what's going on in the code ecosystem - especially having a great awareness of the best libraries to use for different features.
- You have experience working on production systems and understand the complexity of keeping user data secure, following security best practices, and migrating sensitive user data.
- You are familiar with AWS or GCP and can utilize these cloud platforms to achieve scalability.
- You are comfortable with Git and you can handle merging, rebasing, reverting, and managing Git history.
- You are familiar with Docker and comfortable writing Dockerfiles and small bash scripts to build docker images and deploy them to platforms like ECS or Heroku.
- You will be responsible for maintaining and building out REST and GraphQL backends for our clients' mobile and web apps.
- You will follow security and privacy best practices (eg HIPPA, SOCS2, and GDPR). (If you aren't familiar with these, that's ok but you will be expected to research and learn them.)
- You will write high-quality, modular code that is easy for other engineers to understand and write tests for complex or breakable parts of the code base.
- You will be generally available via Slack/email during core business hours and able to respond to questions within 24 hours (although we respect your time and won't bother you outside of your work hours unless there's an emergency).